Monday, February 18, 2008

Period 1 -- Stephen

So, one week late in posting my TAP-1 results (now it sounds properly tech-ish, with a sweet sweet acronym).

Micah, I'm not sure if I agree that we should post our lists as comments -- for one thing, comments are not editable that I can figure out, and so we can't do strike-throughs or any other updates. I suggest we simply each post our session results every two weeks and title/label appropriately.


Onwards.

The issues I'm facing in the short term we all know from the last meeting. Here's the list of actionable things that I set forth to make happen:

1) Work on the Hard Stuff -- effort-based goal of 4 hours per day working on one of my remaining Big Three problems. I can work >4 hrs per day on WM obviously, and those extra hours can be on other issues/funner stuff. But 4hrs a workday must go into fixing the 3 issues that haven't been done for years..

How to hold accountable: Daily planner, record time spent working on a big-3 issue.


2) When to Call it Done -- When the big-three are done. Not a time-based goal, which I suck at holding too because they don't fit the situation.

How to hold accountable: Don't let feature-creep happen!

3) Die Perfectionism Die.

How to hold accountable: Well, you guys can beat the shit out of me whenever I start talking about making things awesome with just one more thing...

4) Email Management -- Check once a day, reply for support emails. Add an auto-responder to all other emails to give myself breathing room to reply within a 1wk timeframe.

How to hold accountable: Close email during the day.

5) Get up at 9am each day.

How to hold accountable: 3 alarms, nature helping out (sunlight through the windows)

6) Make some &*#$ business cards (late addition...)

How to hold accountable: Spent time after my big-3 chunk to research best cheap cards option.

So, since I'm posting this a week late, how am I doing at these?

Bottom line, I'm sucking at them. You all can rip me apart at the next meeting, there are extenuating circumstances but that's no excuse. This upcoming week has to make up for the missed time last week that i couldn't control. I've ordered the replacement laptop power supply, won't be here till the end of the week but I can grit it out and work from home for the week as best I can.

No comments: