Sunday, February 17, 2008

From the Big Durian

Hello fellow bums with a business card,
two weeks into my Asian adventure and I thought it's high time I posted... I've been off the radar for awhile, but I still read all your posts and wish I were there for game nights and afternoons full of coffee and colorful banter. But since I'm here, I might as well give you an update.

1. I have a permanent place to stay now, close to one of the offices I work in. It's in a Rumah Kost (boarding house) but its pretty awesome. I have a bathroom with huge closets, a shower and a bathtub. That's really all a woman could ask for. I'll post photos later so you guys know I'm not living in a cardboard box on the side of the street.

Funny story: The first night I came "home" I freaked out though, because my stuff had been moved around. I thought someone had broke into my room, but then I realized it was just the maid - who came to clean my room and pick up my laundry. How cool is that?!

2. I'm building my networks. Through Phil (my mentor/boss/business partner) I'm meeting a lot of people that will help me build a strong future here in Indonesia. I also have been forcing myself to go out every night to meet people - it's paid off. Every time I'm out, I set a goal to speak with 5 new people. So far it's yielded great results. I'm hanging out with Embassy staff, journalists, PhD candidates and CEO's and directors of companies. It's also allowed me to "have a life"... as I'm going to the Jazz festival next month, which should be amazing!

3. I'm getting ready for the first phase of my company launch. I still don't have a working website, but I'll be going on a buying trip to Bangkok at the end of the month. (I have to leave the country anyway on a Visa run). I want to get a good idea of what we're going to sell and start getting photography together.

Which is another reason I wanted to post. The more I work on this, the more I realize that I need your help... Working on projects is more satisfying and fun when you're working with a great group of innovative, creative people. (Yes Andy, I'm even talking about you).

So if you guys want to get involved, please let me know... But I'm surviving here, and hopefully going to thrive pretty soon. =) But it can get lonely, and having a great army of talent makes it easier to bear the hard days. Jakarta can be very isolating.

Messages to all of you

Stephen: Send me the website. I'll help you position it maximum exposure and marketing. You need to get it launched so you can get your ass out of the country for awhile.

Andrew: Go through in your mind what you think I'm going to need help with. I know you're feeling a little uneasy with work right now; perhaps helping me will make you feel empowered. (I could use all the help I can get).

Micah: Thank you for putting things in context for me, our random conversations have made a big difference in the way that I conduct myself here. Don't think you haven't been a great inspiration. This forum allows us to keep pulling each other up, and I hope it continues. =)

Nick: Hope you're glad to be home. (At least for awhile). I'll start putting things together for you to look at (for the website). Hopefully you're still interested in working on that.

Alright boys, I have a meeting to go to. I'll be thinking of you and this incredible opportunity we have... here's to empire building!

- Riani

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Hi Riani!

It's good to hear a status report from you, that's more in depth than "My Life Is Crazy." :)

And yeah. Having conspirators and helpers for your projects is essential. And I hope that we can be that despite the distance -- there'll be more of us overseas eventually and we need to be able to do this despite that.

and also. your first sentance made me add a new thing to finish my 2-week goals list. Get some &*&#$ business cards already...

My accountability post to come shortly...