Friday, January 4, 2008

There's always time for a stopgap.

So how's this for turnaround time? Job sucks... so change your job description! It seems that all of this self-examination is coming at a very convenient time. My department at work is undergoing some staffing changes, and along with the new year there has been a push to re-evaluate the roles and responsibilities of myself and my coworkers. I took the opportunity today to explain my exasperation with the mundane and advocate for a change in my focus towards the more exciting areas of work. The meeting is preliminary, but I may soon get to go from Accounts Payable to Startup Logistics. My organization is growing rapidly, and they are opening new field offices in the 3rd world all the time. It looks like I may soon get to play a very direct and hands-on role in the establishment of those offices. That smells like travel abroad, increased responsibility, and a chance to take ownership of my own projects. And, if you haven't already noticed, those key words are music to my ears... The situation will develop over the next week or two, but my team seems supportive. Now, to tackle management and flesh out the possibilities...

This is definitely great news, and I'm excited for the prospects. It doesn't mean that I can rest on my laurels, though... The idea that I can turn the job I already have into one I appreciate more is encouraging. It's actually a great relief to realize that it might have some of the qualities that I'm looking for. Regardless, I'm still not completely sure of the things I want to do or the directions I want to take in life. The above key words are a good start, though, and I should probably take pains to add to and better define them. More to come!

No comments: