Monday, January 14, 2008

Never stop learning.

UPDATE: So the notion of "never stop learning" has its applications even here... In my original post, I misappropriated an idiom (the carrot and stick metaphor). It's been fixed and the post probably makes a bit more sense now.

Word is gradually spreading about this little endeavor, and I'm getting some great feedback from all sides... One of the on-going debates that has always roiled just under the surface for me is the question of college. Grad school (and an MBA in particular, for me) has always held certain appeals for me: the prospect of better jobs, more "experience", and a credential to show to would-be employers... The fairytale comes crashing down, however, with the 6-digit debt and 2-3 year commitment (during which I would be working just as hard as if I was *actually* employed, all without making a dime). With so much uncertainty about my future direction(s) still looming, there is no way I could commit myself to that sort of academic term.

There are, however, still a few options... A good friend pointed me to some seminar-style classes at the University of Washington's Experimental College. They offer classes that run from one-night engagements to several week terms and teach everything from basic business principles (Patents/Trademark law) to entrepreneurial workshops (Real Estate development and Small Business Importing). They're cheap, offer a minimal commitment of time, and provide a perfect environment to get my feet wet, ask questions of a mentor, and give me a launch pad for further research/exploration. If I'm ever going to get a project of my own off the ground, this is the sort of background I'll need.

UW Experimental College

No comments: